Daddy Space ~ Lesson from a Tree

September 19, 2011

Welcome back Patrick who shares some daddy space with us today. We celebrate our 18th shared birthday together tomorrow. This picture is from a magical space in Washington when I was 22 and Patrick was 25.

You need balance.

Unfortunately the substance of life does not have a unit of measure.  It cannot be dished out in even scoops.

Balance is hard but without it your life will tip over.

You also need passion.

The surest way to live an unfulfilled life is to live a life devoid of passion.

It is difficult for passion and balance to exist together, in harmony.  Passion is an imbalanced drive, desire toward a person, object or goal.  Passion is single-mindedness.

Balance and Passion.  Yin and Yang.  Passion is the trunk, branches and leaves of the tree. Balance the root system below, that no one sees, keeping the tree firmly grounded.  Both vital to the survival of the tree.  As the trunk thickens and more and more sun gathering leaves sprout, so does the tree extend its roots to support that new growth.

How can both Passion and Balance exist in your life?

One of my mentors, Dave Tate, coined the co-existence of these life forces, Blast and Dust.  As a powerlifter and entrepreneur Blast mode was always a competition cycle or product launch away.  A total and all out focus on the goal.  Eventually, competition day comes and goes, the product gets launched and you are Dust.  Dust is the yogic equivalent of ‘back to center.’  It allows your roots to grow with your branches.

The lesson in this is that on a day to day basis balance is difficult to see and achieve, but on a week to week, month to month basis it is mandatory for long term survival and happiness. The beauty of it is that the largest trees also have the largest root system.

Be a tree.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Sunny September 19, 2011 at 9:21 am

The yogi in me LOVES this. The entrepreneur in me is soaking it in. And the mama in me will share this tidbit with anyone who will listen. Thanks Patrick!

Pat September 20, 2011 at 11:11 am

Well, the Yogi in me likes pic-a-nic baskets:) I’m glad you got so much out of it. Thanks for the comment.

Betsy @ BMooreHealthy September 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm

For me, passion and balance both happen when I have a plan in place. Love this post Patrick! Thanks for sharing.
Betsy @ BMooreHealthy recently posted..Avocado Scrambled Eggs: Recipe 1 of 12

Pat September 20, 2011 at 11:23 am

I’m a planner as well, almost to a fault. I’m not sure I have learned to plan for passion, I wish I could turn it on and off with ease. Thanks for the comment, Betsy!

Joan Cox September 19, 2011 at 3:25 pm

… the largest trees also have the largest root systems. LOVE THIS!

Pat September 20, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thanks Joan!

erin @ exhale. return to center. September 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm

“Passion is an imbalanced drive, desire toward a person, object or goal. Passion is single-mindedness.”

oh yeah. i know a little something about this!!!

the roots / dust / center part is where i get tripped up. my passion tends to sweep me into a whirl of launch…launch…launch…and then stepping back and slowing down and reconnecting with my roots is SO challening.

working on that right now as a matter of fact. ;-)

thanks, patrick. always love your perspective.

and hannah. oh. my. goodness. the braids. the short-shorts. could you be any cuter?

happy birthday to you both.

xoxo

~e
erin @ exhale. return to center. recently posted..dreaming up a new site (and a giveaway!!)

Pat September 20, 2011 at 11:38 am

Thanks Erin! You are lucky, most find the passion part the most difficult. Huge root balls supporting tiny branches and a few leaves. Yours is a great starting point. Finding balance is easier than finding passion.

Jen September 20, 2011 at 10:36 am

Wow! This one hit a chord for me. Need to think on this. Thanks for the insight!
Jen

Pat September 20, 2011 at 11:39 am

I’m curious to hear your thoughts. I’m glad it made you think. Thanks.