Candy Apple, Fennel Salad

July 12, 2008

I found a little forgotten bulb of baby fennel in the fridge from the CSA. The flavor isn’t as strong as the large bulbs but it smells amazing. This is the salad it found itself in.

Candy Apple, Fennel Salad

1 small bulb baby fennel, thinly sliced
1 piece of the fronds, chopped up
1/2 an apple, thinly sliced (I made triangle shapes)
1/4 english cucumber, thinly sliced
small palmfull of raisins
small palmfull of sunflower seeds or cashews

Dressing

2TB Olive Oil
1TB Rice Vinegar (low sodium)
splash of umeboshi vinegar (optional)
fresh cracked pepper

Whisk together the dressing, pour over the salad. If it can sit in the fridge for 30 minutes it will be even better. If you don’t have rice vinegar use apple cider vinegar and honey or agave. This is a sweet and salty salad like a candy apple dipped in nuts.

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Cheryl Harris July 14, 2008 at 1:05 pm

that looks seriously yummy! please send me the link and a jpg and I’ll add it to the ‘uncooking’ roundup (which will be posted end of july)

Amy July 24, 2008 at 12:58 pm

This salad looks great. Unfortunately, Aaron won’t eat anything that has sweet and savory combined. WEIRDO.

Sophie September 6, 2008 at 12:01 am

This sounds so refreshing and light. Fennel has almost a sweet flavor, and I love the idea of a candy apple savory dish. Lovely presentation too, all in all, delish :) .

Sarah Schatz - menus for people with food allergies November 15, 2008 at 11:55 am

Hi Hannah,
this salad looks so lovely. I too am a fennel fan and the combo with the apple and cucumber sounds yummy. thanks so much for the beautiful recipe!
sarah

mehera May 10, 2009 at 11:08 am

Looks beautiful! I love the green heart. I’ve never liked fennel, but maybe I’ll try this next time the CSA hands them out (I usually bury it in a soup).

I noticed your note about agave. What do you think about this info, re: agave? http://nourishedkitchen.com/when-natural-foods-arent-natural-agave-nectar/

Best,
mehera

Laura August 7, 2010 at 11:32 am

I would love this salad, but my kids would not. I’ll try it (next time I find baby fennel) and see. mehera, honey is probably processed the same way, and just as much, as agave. Maybe it’s worth getting the pure, whole honey-comb honey, and using much less.